At the Reference Desk: Mon. - Thurs., 9am - 6pm, and Friday, 9am - 5pm.
Phone: Call 718.430.3104, Mon. - Thurs., 9am - 6pm, and Friday, 9am - 5pm.
Text a Librarian, Mon. - Fri., 10am - 5pm
Text us at 66746 and start your message with medlib.
For example: medlib What are your hours?
Virtual Consultation: Need help, but can't come to the library? Call us at 718.430.3104. We'll show you how it's done -- on your own computer.
Chat, Mon. - Fri., 10am - 5pm
Tell me what you think.
What is Google Scholar?
Google Scholar indexes journal articles, books, abstracts, patents, and court opinions from universities, societies, publishers, online repositories, and other web sites to find scholarly information.
Use this Google Scholar link when searching from off campus or when exporting to RefWorks.
What is Google Scholar good for?
- Useful for locating hard-to-find literature.
- Includes patents, legal documents and court cases.
- Coverage is multi-disciplinary.
- Indexes full text of documents.
- Complements search results from other databases (such as PubMed and Web of Science).
- Useful for identifying articles where only incomplete citation information is known.
What are Google Scholar's drawbacks?
- Content is not necessarily peer reviewed. Users must evaluate search results.
- Update schedule is based on the speed at which Google's robots crawl websites.
- Results are ranked by relevance, not chronologically. Be sure to look carefully at dates.
- Might not include pulications such as book reviews, news sections, editorials, announcements, and letters.
- Set Scholar Preferences to find Einstein Library full text.
- Set Scholar Preferences to export references into EndNote or RefWorks.
Google Scholar search results tend to be very large. There are several ways to refine a search and narrow results.
- Limit by date.
- Search "Articles excluding patents."
- Limit by year.
- Use Advanced Scholar Search to
- Limit by Subject Area.
- Search by Title Words instead of Full Text
- Search an exact phrase.
- Search journal titles by full title as well as abbreviation.
Read Google's Advanced Scholar Search Tips.
D. Samuel Gottesman Library
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Ave.
Bronx, NY 10461