Your opinion counts!
Welcome to the Cite it Right! A Guide to Thesis Preparation. This Guide includes tools to help you through the processes of preparing for and writing your dissertation.
- Locate relevant literature in journals, books and theses.
- Guidelines for properly citing the works of others.
- Use EndNote to collect references and format bibliographies in your dissertation and other publications.
- Information on submitting your thesis as well as finding the right journal to publish your work.
Attention, authors! Be very careful about the articles you cite.
In her article "Despite Warnings, Biomedical Scholars Cite Hundreds of Retracted Papers" in the April 10 issue of The Chronicle of Higher Eductaion, Jennifer Howard described a study demonstrating that scholars continue to cite articles after they have been retracted due to scientific misconduct.
In his article "Misconduct accounts for the majority of retracted scientific publications" in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (available online October 1, 2012), Einstein faculty member Arturo Casadevall, et. al. reviewed 2,042 articles indexed in PubMed as retracted.
There are several ways to check if a journal article has been retracted:
- PubMed will inidcate if an article has been retracted. Read the National Library of Medicine's policy for MEDLINE.
- Retraction Watch by Adam Marcus and Ivan Oransky is a blog that monitors retracted scientific articles and post news about ethical writing.
- Many publishers indicated retracted material in a journal's table of contents and with an electronic watermark on each page of a retracted article.
News from Retraction Watch:
At the Reference Desk: Mon. - Thurs., 9am - 6pm, and Friday, 9am - 5pm.
Phone: Call 718.430.3104, Mon. - Thurs., 9am - 6pm, and Friday, 9am - 5pm.
Text a Librarian, Mon. - Fri., 10am - 5pm
Text us at 66746 and start your message with medlib.
For example: medlib What are your hours?
Virtual Consultation: Need help, but can't come to the library? Call us at 718.430.3104. We'll show you how it's done -- on your own computer.
Chat, Mon. - Fri., 10am - 5pm
D. Samuel Gottesman Library
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
1300 Morris Park Ave.
Bronx, NY 10461